Skip to main content

Mother's Day

Once a year, this day comes around.  It is when we are supposed to give thanks for our mothers.  I have a wonderful mother who I love dearly.  She has been supportive of every decision I have made.  She has been active and proud of me.  She watched my daughter while getting Chemo treatments.  She is someone I will always strive to be like.

This day seems to also bring pain.  I think of my dear friend who lost his mom too soon, and loved her more than words could say.  He lost her around Mother's Day, so the day is a double whammy of pain and sadness and loss.

I think of another friend, who longed to be a mother, but it never happened.  She hides out on Mother's Day, turns off all social media, and tries to do anything she can to get through the reminders of the pain of this day.
I think of another friend, whose mother had drug addiction and mental health issues and so many problems that she was never really the mother that this person needed.  This person instead had to navigate life on her own.

I think of a woman I have worked with who told me that found her child after she was beaten and raped, and watched as the child slowly took her last breath.  She then had to throw her in a river with all the other bodies.  She picked up a small bag and left that place, and walked to a camp, where she lived for years before coming to the United States.  She has other children and is a wonderful Mother, but she has severe pain from this loss and doesn't feel like she was a good enough mom, because she could not save her child.

As a divorced mom, I have had my share of pain.  Missing out on important things because of work or my children being away from me.  Having people say I work too much, and my children will suffer. Having people say I do not make enough money, and my children will suffer.  Having people tell me I should hurry and marry, because my children need a strong male figure in their life.  If I do not marry, my children will suffer.  Having people tell me that I should never remarry, because I may choose a bad man, and then my children will suffer.

I have friends who suffer from depression, and then share and express guilt that everyone else seems so happy about motherhood, while they struggle to get out of bed.  People who keep their house clean are judged that they do not spend enough time with their children.  People who are messy are judged because their house isn't clean.  Mom's who are judged because they are fat.  Mom's who are judged because they are thin.

It goes on and on and on.  It gives me a great deal of heartache.  I know that I am doing the best that I can.  I am not the best mother.  I live firmly in the messy house camp.  I have to send my daughters to ask other people when they want to know about anything crafty.  I buy their birthday cakes from other people because I would not make an edible cake.  I am just barely, after 10 years of practice, getting decent at doing their hair.  After 38 years, I still can't do my own hair. But, I love my daughters.  I take them places not because I am awesome, but because I enjoy going out, so I bring them along.  I encourage them to be themselves, even if it means being surprised that one plays basketball at recess when I can barely spell basketball, and the other has the most interesting sense of fashion in the world.

With every situation, there is so much I do not understand.  I do not know what it is like to lose your mother, because I thank God every day that I have not lost mine yet.  But I can hug my friends that have and say "I am here for you."  I do not know what it is like to want children and not have them.  I do know what it is like to not want to get out of bed in the morning, but that doesn't mean I understand everything my friends who suffer similarly go through.  I do not understand the challenges of being a stay at home parent, because that has not been my opportunity in life.  But I can say I am sorry that these things are challenging for you, and be a listening ear.  And I certainly cannot imagine the pain of watching a child take their last breath.  But I can hug a person and say I love you.

I wish we could all listen and love and want to be there for one another.  I wish we could be a little more kind and understanding.  I wish we could remember our life path is only one life path.  To my mom and the women that I love, Happy Mother's Day. To those who have struggled today, I see you.  No one deserves to be forgotten. I don't know your specific pain, but I know it is real, and I am proud of every step you take.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utah's Christmas Theatre Season

People outside of Utah do not seem to understand the Utah Theatre.  Honestly, I am not sure those of us inside of Utah really understand it. But it is a truth understood that we love theatre.  We really love our theatre.  So you can find yourself any number of tellings of the Christmas Carol, from the classic tale at the Hale, to the Scrooge version at the Terrace, to the Harry Potter version at the Zig. The Old Barn in Garland has The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Or if you prefer It's a Wonderful Life, that is at the Hopebox and the Radio version is at Centerpointe and The Covey Center and we haven't even ventured down south! We have got Elf at Tuachan and A Christmas Story is coming to the Eccles and my favorite comedy that I have ever seen, The Play That Goes Wrong, is coming to Pioneer, and Pete the Cat the Musical is coming to Salt Lake Acting Company and this is just December! No, I did not mention all the shows, plus there are concerts and more community theatre and th

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix

I was in Phoenix this weekend for my commencement ceremony, and my family and I went to the Musical Instrument Museum .  I have to admit this may have been one of the best museums I have attended as parent, and perhaps even as a tourist. We were greeted as we entered warmly by the volunteers who were very eager to show us around, and they gave all of us our own headsets, that sync up nicely with each exhibit.  Then we were shown into the introduction hall that has a few key intsruments and a short introduction video, before we then head upstairs to have a tour around the world of musical instruments, quite literally. Every continent is represented, and we were able to wander through different centuries and different countries of music and musical development.  My children and step-children range in ages 6-13, and have different levels of ability, one being on the autism spectrum, one being a budding percussionist, a few violinist, one interested in reed intsruments, a few pianists, a

Computer Log In Meltdown

I had a moment with my children this weekend.  It was not my best moment as a mother, but I hope it turned into a learning moment for all involved.  A little background is necessary.  Since we live in home that was a blend of two fully functioning homes, we have many duplicates and triplicates of things.  Because of work and interest, one thing we have in abundance is electronic devices.  Which brings us to the offending moment.  My two daughters and I were the only ones home, and I was upstairs when a fight ensued downstairs.  Upon my motherly investigation I found that the fight was over both wanting to be on one particular computer that was deemed the easiest to log into.   Maybe it was because of a long work week.  Maybe it was because of some of the difficult things I have seen my clients suffer, and maybe it wasbecause I have not been able to nap this weekend, but I lost it.  “Are you really telling me that in a home where we have multiple computers, and you two are fluent in mul