Skip to main content

Taking Risks in Theatre

Being critical in theatre is not an easy job.  I am not sure how well I balance the line between theatre fan and theatre critic.  Some critics seem to loathe the theatre, as is famously parodied in Ruthless!, and others seem to pick apart every scene and be impossible to please. while others seem to love absolutely everything.  I confess that I have fallen victim to the loving everything often, being a big fan of theatre since I was a child I found it difficult to view things with a critical eye.  Over the past 9 years, I have been able to develop more of my skills in critical thinking, and I have also taken the opportunity to widen my theatrical viewing opportunities, which has helped me become more willing to be critical of the choices of actors, directors, and creative teams.  At the same time, I have also become more appreciative of when these same actors, directors, and creative teams take certain theatrical risks that may seem unorthodox and yet they pay off in the sense of a heightened theatrical experience.
However, the magic of that balance still astounds and alludes me as merely a critic and a theater-goer, not (yet) a theater-creater. For instance, take a community production I saw of The Scottish Play that put the events in a post apocalytic time and gave some gender fluidity to the characters in a brave but workable fashion. Compare that to a University production of Sense and Sensibility  that goes a little to far down the rabbit hole into chaos and confusion.
When is a risk a good risk, and when is it perhaps too much pandering to an audience, shock theatre for nothing more than shock value, or important conversation at an important time. Is a bad performance simply a poor casting choice, or does it go much deeper?
Going off the beaten path for intimate acting experiences has proven to be some of the best theatre I have ever seen, such as a show that had me walking around the streets of Salt Lake City, but it can also have me in a show that I know was good, but I am also a little embarrassed to admit that maybe I was just not smart enough to understand it.
Theatre can also be thought provoking and move you to consider things in a new way.  But it can also be boring, predictable, and forgetable.  So, where is the line?  What makes or breaks a show?
To quote Damn Yankees, is it lame to say that it does come down to heart? "All you really need is heart." Putting feeling into a show can help bring it strength and help it to succeed, but maybe I am wrong.  After all, Be More Chill had a lot of heart, but that did not mean it lasted at the box office.  However, that does not mean it is dead. It is heading to London and I am sure there is life in it yet. I have also seen shows that don't seem to have much heart to me that refuse to die.  I will not provide a link to protect the guilty. But I would say that as a critic I can tell when an actor is really trying to put their heart in their show, and when a company is trying to put their heart into their work. 
There is a company local to me, Good Company in Ogden.  Run by two sisters, it seems that their mission is to provide more diversity in theatre in Utah.  I see heart in every production that they do.  I have not always provided positive reviews for all their shows, but I do see heart and hard work in their productions, and find some success and pleasure in the art they put forward. Those risks are worth more of the reward than some of the companies a little more south that are more flashy and fancy.  Not to say that some of their productions don't have heart, but big productions sometimes lose that heart.  Like the Sense and Sensibility down the rabbit hole, when too many ideas get thrown in the pot, we forget why we wanted to take the risk in the first place.  We want someone to feel the emotion, but maybe we don't need them to feel all the emotions at once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utah's Christmas Theatre Season

People outside of Utah do not seem to understand the Utah Theatre.  Honestly, I am not sure those of us inside of Utah really understand it. But it is a truth understood that we love theatre.  We really love our theatre.  So you can find yourself any number of tellings of the Christmas Carol, from the classic tale at the Hale, to the Scrooge version at the Terrace, to the Harry Potter version at the Zig. The Old Barn in Garland has The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Or if you prefer It's a Wonderful Life, that is at the Hopebox and the Radio version is at Centerpointe and The Covey Center and we haven't even ventured down south! We have got Elf at Tuachan and A Christmas Story is coming to the Eccles and my favorite comedy that I have ever seen, The Play That Goes Wrong, is coming to Pioneer, and Pete the Cat the Musical is coming to Salt Lake Acting Company and this is just December! No, I did not mention all the shows, plus there are concerts and more community theatre and th

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix

I was in Phoenix this weekend for my commencement ceremony, and my family and I went to the Musical Instrument Museum .  I have to admit this may have been one of the best museums I have attended as parent, and perhaps even as a tourist. We were greeted as we entered warmly by the volunteers who were very eager to show us around, and they gave all of us our own headsets, that sync up nicely with each exhibit.  Then we were shown into the introduction hall that has a few key intsruments and a short introduction video, before we then head upstairs to have a tour around the world of musical instruments, quite literally. Every continent is represented, and we were able to wander through different centuries and different countries of music and musical development.  My children and step-children range in ages 6-13, and have different levels of ability, one being on the autism spectrum, one being a budding percussionist, a few violinist, one interested in reed intsruments, a few pianists, a

Computer Log In Meltdown

I had a moment with my children this weekend.  It was not my best moment as a mother, but I hope it turned into a learning moment for all involved.  A little background is necessary.  Since we live in home that was a blend of two fully functioning homes, we have many duplicates and triplicates of things.  Because of work and interest, one thing we have in abundance is electronic devices.  Which brings us to the offending moment.  My two daughters and I were the only ones home, and I was upstairs when a fight ensued downstairs.  Upon my motherly investigation I found that the fight was over both wanting to be on one particular computer that was deemed the easiest to log into.   Maybe it was because of a long work week.  Maybe it was because of some of the difficult things I have seen my clients suffer, and maybe it wasbecause I have not been able to nap this weekend, but I lost it.  “Are you really telling me that in a home where we have multiple computers, and you two are fluent in mul