Skip to main content

Sometimes Words are Not Enough

I don't know if the right term is karma or what, but sometimes I worry that if I say things are going great, that something will fall apart.  So it is with a little trepidation that I write this post.  Even though I have been plagued with allergies and headaches, this last week has been one of the most joyous in my life.  I turned 40 years old, got to see my daughters perform in their piano recitals, take my children, stepchildren, and husband to a beautiful show at a beautiful live theatre, sing in a concert, and attend a surprise party planned by my dear sweet husband where he sang me a song and put together a slide show of pictures and moments of my life and videos of my dear friends.  Oh, and the Dean signed my dissertation, officially ending my PhD experience and helping me acheive the highest degree confered in the US Educational System, the Doctorate.
The first woman to earn a PhD in the United States was in 1877.  142 years ago.  Which is really awesome considering she did not even have the right to vote at the time! Some of history took a lot longer, with Harvard not admitting women to medical school until 1945, and over in Africa, the first woman to attend graduate school in Ghana happened in 1950. Back here in the United States, it took until 1970 for the University of Virginia to admit women, and military academies did not admit women until 1976.  So I do not take this for granted, that I, as a woman, have earned a PhD.
But what is more important is the topic of my research.  One young lady that I interviewed, came from a country that still does not believe in the educating of girls.  She came to a foster family at the age of 14 being illiterate in any language.  She is now double majoring in two of the hard sciences at a University, and is fluent and literate in seven languages.  She did this in the span of 4 years. All the hard work I have done, all the experiences that have challenged me, all are simple and little compared to the amazing things this young lady has undertaken and continues to undertake.
In the musical Once on this Island, a favorite of my older sister, an important truth is taught.  I have the blessed memory seared in my brain of seeing my precious Leia teach this lesson as the little girl at the end of the show, and say the important words "This is why we tell the story." Research has shown that when we see things on television, mass catastrophies or wars in far off places, we react either with fear or feelings of not being able to do anything.  We quickly forget.  We do not connect.  It is not so with stories.  We can all understand and feel the power of a strong story.  I may or may not have teared up recently at a superhero movie because of the connection I feel to fictional characters in a story. How much more important that we tell the story, and listen to the story, of those that we are blessed to connect with.
In the grand scheme of things, my story is not that important.  I am blessed by my circumstances to have had an abundance of opportunity to aquire education.  I am blessed with an abundance of good friends and family.  But I wanted to use those opportunites to try and find ways to tell more stories, to highlight more people who we can connect with, root for, and be proud of, even if they are different than we are.  So that we can see, when given a chance, a young woman who was called by her family a "nothing girl" can rise to become a scientist who speaks 7 languages. In 2013 a woman in Saudi Arabia can become the first woman in her country to gain a PhD.
I went through many years where I only sang periodically, and I am trying to rectify that.  It is somewhat kismet that the weekend concert I sang at culminated with me singing When you Wish Upon a Star.....granted, one needs to do much more than wish to make their dreams come true, but there is something to be said about the need for hope.  My friend who came to the United States at 14 had hope that she could have a better life.  I think that instilling hope is the main purpose of having wishes and dreams.  Over the last few years, I have had several wishes and dreams, some big and some exceedingly small, happen for me.  But most of it has had its roots in hope.  The rest has been because of the privilege of opportunity.  I am grateful for a career that is all about helping people find opportunities.  What I want is to try and help everyone see how they can help bring hope to the hopeless, and how we should be ready to tell the stories that need to be told.
Thank you to my husband, family, and friends is just not enough.  Karma will bring the hard times again, but this week has been such a breathe of joy and love.  When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. This is why we tell the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utah's Christmas Theatre Season

People outside of Utah do not seem to understand the Utah Theatre.  Honestly, I am not sure those of us inside of Utah really understand it. But it is a truth understood that we love theatre.  We really love our theatre.  So you can find yourself any number of tellings of the Christmas Carol, from the classic tale at the Hale, to the Scrooge version at the Terrace, to the Harry Potter version at the Zig. The Old Barn in Garland has The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Or if you prefer It's a Wonderful Life, that is at the Hopebox and the Radio version is at Centerpointe and The Covey Center and we haven't even ventured down south! We have got Elf at Tuachan and A Christmas Story is coming to the Eccles and my favorite comedy that I have ever seen, The Play That Goes Wrong, is coming to Pioneer, and Pete the Cat the Musical is coming to Salt Lake Acting Company and this is just December! No, I did not mention all the shows, plus there are concerts and more community theatre and th

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix

I was in Phoenix this weekend for my commencement ceremony, and my family and I went to the Musical Instrument Museum .  I have to admit this may have been one of the best museums I have attended as parent, and perhaps even as a tourist. We were greeted as we entered warmly by the volunteers who were very eager to show us around, and they gave all of us our own headsets, that sync up nicely with each exhibit.  Then we were shown into the introduction hall that has a few key intsruments and a short introduction video, before we then head upstairs to have a tour around the world of musical instruments, quite literally. Every continent is represented, and we were able to wander through different centuries and different countries of music and musical development.  My children and step-children range in ages 6-13, and have different levels of ability, one being on the autism spectrum, one being a budding percussionist, a few violinist, one interested in reed intsruments, a few pianists, a

Computer Log In Meltdown

I had a moment with my children this weekend.  It was not my best moment as a mother, but I hope it turned into a learning moment for all involved.  A little background is necessary.  Since we live in home that was a blend of two fully functioning homes, we have many duplicates and triplicates of things.  Because of work and interest, one thing we have in abundance is electronic devices.  Which brings us to the offending moment.  My two daughters and I were the only ones home, and I was upstairs when a fight ensued downstairs.  Upon my motherly investigation I found that the fight was over both wanting to be on one particular computer that was deemed the easiest to log into.   Maybe it was because of a long work week.  Maybe it was because of some of the difficult things I have seen my clients suffer, and maybe it wasbecause I have not been able to nap this weekend, but I lost it.  “Are you really telling me that in a home where we have multiple computers, and you two are fluent in mul