Skip to main content

24 Hours in San Francisco

I have ventured into San Francisco to participate in the conference for the American Theatre Critics Association #ATCA.   This is my first conference as a new member.  I have also been spending a lot of time hearing about the fact that I graduated from high school 20 years ago.  This causes me to reflect on my senior trip, to New York City, as a young Utahn who really knew very little about the world and even less about art and theatre, though I had well worn CDs and CD jackets of lyrics and felt myself to be an expert of epic proportions.  Of course, now I am older and wiser and see theatre all over, have been to many places all over the country, lived in two of the best theatre meccas in the United States, and can calmly and eloquently give my expert opinion.

Ha! If you believed that last part, you have no clue who I really am.  Every time I come to a new place, I feel like that niave yet excited 18 year old who felt like a rebel stepping into a bar to find out the score between the Jazz and the Lakers. (If you find yourself questioning this because of my lack of knowledge of sportsball, I understand.  Others who attended the trip with me cared.  I was as ignorant in sports matters then as I am now.)

When needed, I can share sophisticated opinions of my adventures, but for tonight, I would like to write how my inner 18 year old is taking in the sights and experiences of the city.  First of all, let's talk smart phones.  I mean, this is game changing my traveling friends.  I remember feeling cool the first time I rode a cab in NYC, until I had to pay for it.  Uber and Lyft, they tell you how much before you get in.  And you know what else?!  They show you on a map where the driver will take you.   This is HUGE. Why, you ask?  In my younger New York travel days, before I moved there, I had read some warnings.  Don't look too much like a tourist.  Cab drivers will trick you, drive the long way around, charge you more.  Well, sorry Mr. or Ms. Cab driver (said in my best Kimmy Schmidt voice), no fooling me!  There's an app for that.

When I got checked into my awesome hotel, I discovered there is an app on my phone that can unlock my door.  NO KEY REQUIRED.  Yeah, I know.  18 year old me is so impressed with this technology.  Also, the pool is on the 16th floor.  The shampoo is namebrand.  I have made it.  Hilton Hotel has stepped up my game.  This is living like the other half.  I don't even have cable at home, and these channels!  I have to remind myself that we are not here to watch TV in the hotel.

San Francisco feels like New York.  Until I start climbing hills.  Then it doesn't feel like New York.  Also, I no longer feel 18.  Sad Face.

Yes, stop.  That is what I kept saying to my thighs.  But, we got past that and I got to Pier 39.  Where I tried some grown up food that was delicious at Fog Harbor Fish House.  Totally worth it (but it was pricey) and not at all what 18 year old me would have ordered.  I also had a nice romantic view of Alcatraz, so if you want to really wow a date, viewing a prison at dinner could be awesome.  

Today my adventures lead me to Chinatown, where I got some presents for my daughters who are learning Chinese.  While wandering through Chinatown, I found a bench that I wish I had a way to transport home, and honestly a place to put it.  Oh, whatever.  I probably would never buy it.  But it made me laugh and made me glad I have a smartphone so I can remember it forever. 


I was also very happy to channel my inner Judy Garland when standing in front of the cable cars. Perhaps one of the best highlights was finding the BEST STAIRCASE OF ALL TIME.  


I also got to be on a boat and float under the Golden Gate Bridge and see actual whales in the water!  I couldn't get a picture of the whales so I could totally be lying.   I did get a picture of lazy sea lions.  I am secretly very jealous of the lazy sea lions.  I want to lay on the boardwalk all day making loud noises while tourists exclaim about how cute I am.  Seriously.  That is living.  The sea lions know and understand.  


Wandering around cities, taking pictures on my phone, and experiencing things is what I do best.  But suddenly the time had come for me to go to a professional dinner and then attend a show with other critics.  This is where I get most scared, and where the inner 18 year old wants to run and hide.  Because although I have been writing for 6 years now, I still feel quite amatuer at all of this.  Will they like me?  Will I be able to converse?  Say my name?  Tell them there really is theatre in Utah and that it is great?
All I can say is that I survived and even found people to travel with to tonight's show, the world premiere of Grandeur.  I will write a post for Utah Theatre Bloggers that covers the shows more specifically, but what is really cool about this was the location.  The Historic Fort Mason Center for the Arts.  That is right.  They took an old fort on a marina and turned it into an arts center.  By this time my phone was dying and I did not take pictures, but my art loving heart was madly in love with this idea, and San Francisco.  I can almost forgive it for the hills.  Almost.  Too many hills, my lovely city.  Too many hills. 

I am now back at my hotel, getting ready to sleep and then do it all again tomorrow.  Back in my fancy hotel, just a small town girl trying to make sense of how she has been lucky enough to have such adventures and enjoy such wonderful things.  

Comments

  1. Maren you are the most adorable thing ever!! It's so fun to travel with you by reading your hilarious words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Utah's Christmas Theatre Season

People outside of Utah do not seem to understand the Utah Theatre.  Honestly, I am not sure those of us inside of Utah really understand it. But it is a truth understood that we love theatre.  We really love our theatre.  So you can find yourself any number of tellings of the Christmas Carol, from the classic tale at the Hale, to the Scrooge version at the Terrace, to the Harry Potter version at the Zig. The Old Barn in Garland has The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Or if you prefer It's a Wonderful Life, that is at the Hopebox and the Radio version is at Centerpointe and The Covey Center and we haven't even ventured down south! We have got Elf at Tuachan and A Christmas Story is coming to the Eccles and my favorite comedy that I have ever seen, The Play That Goes Wrong, is coming to Pioneer, and Pete the Cat the Musical is coming to Salt Lake Acting Company and this is just December! No, I did not mention all the shows, plus there are concerts and more community theatre and th

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix

I was in Phoenix this weekend for my commencement ceremony, and my family and I went to the Musical Instrument Museum .  I have to admit this may have been one of the best museums I have attended as parent, and perhaps even as a tourist. We were greeted as we entered warmly by the volunteers who were very eager to show us around, and they gave all of us our own headsets, that sync up nicely with each exhibit.  Then we were shown into the introduction hall that has a few key intsruments and a short introduction video, before we then head upstairs to have a tour around the world of musical instruments, quite literally. Every continent is represented, and we were able to wander through different centuries and different countries of music and musical development.  My children and step-children range in ages 6-13, and have different levels of ability, one being on the autism spectrum, one being a budding percussionist, a few violinist, one interested in reed intsruments, a few pianists, a

Computer Log In Meltdown

I had a moment with my children this weekend.  It was not my best moment as a mother, but I hope it turned into a learning moment for all involved.  A little background is necessary.  Since we live in home that was a blend of two fully functioning homes, we have many duplicates and triplicates of things.  Because of work and interest, one thing we have in abundance is electronic devices.  Which brings us to the offending moment.  My two daughters and I were the only ones home, and I was upstairs when a fight ensued downstairs.  Upon my motherly investigation I found that the fight was over both wanting to be on one particular computer that was deemed the easiest to log into.   Maybe it was because of a long work week.  Maybe it was because of some of the difficult things I have seen my clients suffer, and maybe it wasbecause I have not been able to nap this weekend, but I lost it.  “Are you really telling me that in a home where we have multiple computers, and you two are fluent in mul