Skip to main content

Another Hundred People, or Why I Love Cities

The first time I went to New York City, I was 18 years old and was in heaven as I saw the buildings, art, streets, parks, and most of all, the people.  Stephen Sondheim said it best when he wrote "It's a city of strangers.  Some come to work, some come to play.  A city of strangers.  Some come to stare, some come to stay."

Over the years, I have been every one of those people.  Working, playing, staring, staying.  That is what I have done most of my life, wherever I have lived.  I like to o to the library to write and do research because I like to look at the people around me.  I like to think of them, their stories, their troubles, what makes them happy, what makes them sad.

"And another hundred people just got off of the train."  The amount of people in this world astound me.  I reamember the first time I walked into a Broadway Theatre, and saw the most amazing cast put on the most amazing show.  And then I did it the next day.  And the day after that.  I have a memory seered in my brain sitting inside the Imperial Theatre in 1997 as the orchestra started the overture for Les Miserables and I thought about ever person in that orchestra and all the orchestras across the city and across the world.  The countless hours they put into practicing.  The times they wanted to give up.  The times they didn't get the place in the orchestra they wanted.  The rejection and sacrifice.  Just to entertain me.

The same thing continued to happen as I saw the actors on stage.  I pondered the people running the tech.  The costumers and the writers and the designers and the ticket takers and the concession stand workers and the person who sold me a t-shirt who is likely waiting for her own big break.
"A city of strangers."  Today I sit in a library in Salt Lake City.  I see a mom working on a resume as her daughter keeps bugging her.  I see a children's librarian helping a group of kids who are speaking in different languages.  I see a couple of kids on time limited computers surfing the internet.  And I wonder what their story might be.  I wonder who is here to work, who is here to play.  Who is here to stare and who is here to stay.

It is rainy and cold.  As I left my work today, a gentleman I work with from South Sudan lectured me because I did not wear a coat.  I told him for me it is not that cold.  He told me that for him, it is almost always cold here. I have been blessed to hear his story.  His time in the refugee camps.  The languages he has learned.  The talents he has.  The struggle that learning English is.  What makes him happy and brings him joy.  And he walks me to my car with his coat over me to block the rain, no matter my insistance that I am fine.

"The ones who stay can find each other in the crowded parks".  I love big cities because I think it is wonderful to find one another.  Every day that I come home, my daughters ask me what countries the refugees I worked with today came from, or what the play I just saw was like, or what I think the playwright meant.  I try food from new places and I watch stories about things that never interested me before.

After my 18 year old experience, I have gone to a few other cities.  I wish I could go to every city.  I have learned stories in Washinton DC.  I have learned stories in Chicago.  I have learned stories in Manila.  I have learned stories in small Ephraim Utah.  I've wandered the streets of Portland and Denver and Minneapolis and Two Harbors and St. Louis.  It's a world of strangers.  It's a world of stories.  A world of skills and talent and sharing and entertainment.  A world of food and art and experience.  And I only hope that I can have the energy to learn as many stories as I possibly can and experience as much entertainment as I possibly can and love as many people as I possibly can.

"Another hundred people just got off of the train."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utah's Christmas Theatre Season

People outside of Utah do not seem to understand the Utah Theatre.  Honestly, I am not sure those of us inside of Utah really understand it. But it is a truth understood that we love theatre.  We really love our theatre.  So you can find yourself any number of tellings of the Christmas Carol, from the classic tale at the Hale, to the Scrooge version at the Terrace, to the Harry Potter version at the Zig. The Old Barn in Garland has The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Or if you prefer It's a Wonderful Life, that is at the Hopebox and the Radio version is at Centerpointe and The Covey Center and we haven't even ventured down south! We have got Elf at Tuachan and A Christmas Story is coming to the Eccles and my favorite comedy that I have ever seen, The Play That Goes Wrong, is coming to Pioneer, and Pete the Cat the Musical is coming to Salt Lake Acting Company and this is just December! No, I did not mention all the shows, plus there are concerts and more community theatre and th

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix

I was in Phoenix this weekend for my commencement ceremony, and my family and I went to the Musical Instrument Museum .  I have to admit this may have been one of the best museums I have attended as parent, and perhaps even as a tourist. We were greeted as we entered warmly by the volunteers who were very eager to show us around, and they gave all of us our own headsets, that sync up nicely with each exhibit.  Then we were shown into the introduction hall that has a few key intsruments and a short introduction video, before we then head upstairs to have a tour around the world of musical instruments, quite literally. Every continent is represented, and we were able to wander through different centuries and different countries of music and musical development.  My children and step-children range in ages 6-13, and have different levels of ability, one being on the autism spectrum, one being a budding percussionist, a few violinist, one interested in reed intsruments, a few pianists, a

Computer Log In Meltdown

I had a moment with my children this weekend.  It was not my best moment as a mother, but I hope it turned into a learning moment for all involved.  A little background is necessary.  Since we live in home that was a blend of two fully functioning homes, we have many duplicates and triplicates of things.  Because of work and interest, one thing we have in abundance is electronic devices.  Which brings us to the offending moment.  My two daughters and I were the only ones home, and I was upstairs when a fight ensued downstairs.  Upon my motherly investigation I found that the fight was over both wanting to be on one particular computer that was deemed the easiest to log into.   Maybe it was because of a long work week.  Maybe it was because of some of the difficult things I have seen my clients suffer, and maybe it wasbecause I have not been able to nap this weekend, but I lost it.  “Are you really telling me that in a home where we have multiple computers, and you two are fluent in mul