Skip to main content

Julie's Greenroom

My daughters are currently 10 and 6.  My ten year old seems to understand how awesome theatre is, while my 6 year old seems to understand how awesome the spotlight is.  I have been trying to find ways to introduce them to age appropriate ways of understanding the arts. They are both in piano lessons and school choir, and the oldest is in a young actors acting troop.  But then, a marvelous event took place!  Julie's Greenroom dropped on Netflix.
Friends! I am happy to report my daughters love Julie's Greenroom.  I actually think I likely love it more, but they do seem to enjoy it a great deal.  So, for those who do not know, Julie's Greenroom is just about the best thing to ever happen to children's television if you are a person like me.  The great Julie Andrews hosts a show of Muppet Children as they learn about all the elements of putting together a theatrical show.
The guest stars!  Oh my friends, my friends!  The children learn about theatre from Idina Menzel, about dancing from members of the New York Ballet, about percussion from the cast of Stomp, about music writing from Sara Bareilles, and on and on.  It really is a little theatre geek's dream.
Honestly though, one of the best parts is helping kids see the magic behind the magic of the theatre. The work that goes into making the set, the work of raising funds, the work of collaborating to write a song.  It is so invigorating to watch this process.  Additionally, the address different strengths that kids may have and show how they can be a part of the theatre, from humor to technical skill to musical skills.  They also address things like not getting the role you wanted, being afraid to be on stage, and what to do when things go wrong.
I love theatre, and I have since I was a kid.  My first show was in the 4th grade.  Since that time, I have learned so much about how theatrical productions are put together, yet I still seem to be so amazed at each thing I happen to learn.  Julie's Greenroom is a way for children to be able to start to learn about the magic at a young age.
Why should this matter?  Why am I not having my children spend their free time watching or learning about math equations or science or something important?  Well, first, my ten year old had a Chemistry birthday party, so we do not lack in the department of STEM importance and awesomeness.  However, there is plenty of research that shows the importance of Art and Humanity. The ability to think and create is of more importance than we seem to place on it in this modern age. Creativity builds innovation.  It also builds human connection, and human connection builds innovation.  Learning and understanding history and humanities and the arts are an essential part of building up a strong and empathetic society.  Cutting the arts from our lives and our world will serve to make this world a less functional place.  I comment Julie's Greenroom for keeping this an important part of the lives of our children.
Julies Greenroom is a new Netflix Series of 13 episodes that dropped in March of 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utah's Christmas Theatre Season

People outside of Utah do not seem to understand the Utah Theatre.  Honestly, I am not sure those of us inside of Utah really understand it. But it is a truth understood that we love theatre.  We really love our theatre.  So you can find yourself any number of tellings of the Christmas Carol, from the classic tale at the Hale, to the Scrooge version at the Terrace, to the Harry Potter version at the Zig. The Old Barn in Garland has The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Or if you prefer It's a Wonderful Life, that is at the Hopebox and the Radio version is at Centerpointe and The Covey Center and we haven't even ventured down south! We have got Elf at Tuachan and A Christmas Story is coming to the Eccles and my favorite comedy that I have ever seen, The Play That Goes Wrong, is coming to Pioneer, and Pete the Cat the Musical is coming to Salt Lake Acting Company and this is just December! No, I did not mention all the shows, plus there are concerts and more community theatre and th

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix

I was in Phoenix this weekend for my commencement ceremony, and my family and I went to the Musical Instrument Museum .  I have to admit this may have been one of the best museums I have attended as parent, and perhaps even as a tourist. We were greeted as we entered warmly by the volunteers who were very eager to show us around, and they gave all of us our own headsets, that sync up nicely with each exhibit.  Then we were shown into the introduction hall that has a few key intsruments and a short introduction video, before we then head upstairs to have a tour around the world of musical instruments, quite literally. Every continent is represented, and we were able to wander through different centuries and different countries of music and musical development.  My children and step-children range in ages 6-13, and have different levels of ability, one being on the autism spectrum, one being a budding percussionist, a few violinist, one interested in reed intsruments, a few pianists, a

Computer Log In Meltdown

I had a moment with my children this weekend.  It was not my best moment as a mother, but I hope it turned into a learning moment for all involved.  A little background is necessary.  Since we live in home that was a blend of two fully functioning homes, we have many duplicates and triplicates of things.  Because of work and interest, one thing we have in abundance is electronic devices.  Which brings us to the offending moment.  My two daughters and I were the only ones home, and I was upstairs when a fight ensued downstairs.  Upon my motherly investigation I found that the fight was over both wanting to be on one particular computer that was deemed the easiest to log into.   Maybe it was because of a long work week.  Maybe it was because of some of the difficult things I have seen my clients suffer, and maybe it wasbecause I have not been able to nap this weekend, but I lost it.  “Are you really telling me that in a home where we have multiple computers, and you two are fluent in mul